Thursday, March 27, 2014

Thoughts, ideas, solutions?

Lots going on in the garage of psychological disorders and progressive music.  First, the floor of the trailer was sealed with a nice coat of white enamel.  It's beginning to look like a real project here.  I suppose I should be thinking about flooring choices at some point.  The stepdown and the entry will be done in vinyl and in front of the gaucho as well as under the dinette will be in carpet...at least that is the thinking for now.  I'd like it to be comfortable where it should be comfortable and easy to maintain in the traffic areas.  I sound like a carpet store commercial!

Shockingly professional looking!
It's a nice industrial product...and it looks ok, too.


Before I can get the walls up, I need to get the cabinetry finished out.  The veneer will come shortly but for now, it's time for the some woodwork.  Since both the nightstand and the galley have different requirements, I'll start with the one nearest the door. 


Long storage cupboard for hot dog or marshmallow roasting sticks
Bookcase facing the gaucho
Detail of bookcase showing trap door
Semi-secure storage for keys, wallet, Pop-Tarts, etc!



Now this is where the going gets tough.  I salvaged the original stove and sink reserving them for possible re-use.  Originally I had thoughts of using the SMEV917 dual-burner stove and sink combination but between the price and the difficulty of importing one (it's available in the U.K. and Europe but not exported to the U.S. at this time), I have had to consider other options.  Since full meals will not be prepared in the trailer and the stove will only be utilized for the occasional boiling of a kettle of water, I have come up with a plan that will do the trick.  In order to return the original sink to good trim, it would be necessary to re-enamel it, a $200 prospect. The original stove would need the same treatment and perhaps new valve and orifice components.  Sizing things up with the new galley cabinet (which is slightly smaller than the original in order to accommodate a full-size mattress), a smaller stove is necessary.  By sheer luck, I landed this stainless sink for $15 and my costs for the stove will about $25.  Beats $225 + import tariffs.

A little Barkeeper's Friend and it'll be like new!
This should be easy to adapt

This Saturday will find me cutting openings for the drawers and getting the drawer glides in place.  Next week:  WALLS!  Oh, wait....welting!  I have to get my welting!

No comments:

Post a Comment