Sunday, April 7, 2013

I love April 6th.....rain or shine!

I've spent much time indoors today learning much and recharging my "batteries" for the another six months.  I've also had an opportunity to work some on the sidewall design.  I want to build a stronger, better wall section for my trailer with improved insulative properties than the original single sheet of plywood and foil paper insulation.  It also needs to provide appropriate support for interior features and joints in the birch veneer.  In other words, it needs to be functional and decorative!  Let's see what's shaping up....

The "riser kit" is not shown in these views


My plan is to laminate two layers of 1/4" plywood together crosswise to create a blank wall that will be 10 feet long and 5'4 tall (the aluminum siding is 118 inches long by 61 inches tall).  From there, the siding will be laid out and it's outline traced on each wall and then cut out.  Next the door will be partially cut out (for structural safety) and the windows cut in.  Using the proposed plan, the voids will be cut into each wall and the waste wood reserved for building other internal structures such as the dinette, the galley cabinetry and the gaucho shelf and extension.  The voids will then be filled with tight-fitting foam insulating panels.  After a preliminary fitting to the floor, the birch veneer will be applied and trimmed to size.

It will take 4 - 1/4" sheets of plywood for each side - 8 sheets total
The veneer will only take 3 - 4'x8' sheets to do both walls



Of course, more will be required to do the roof but it's one step at a time, even in the planning stages.  And I haven't even completed frame reparations yet!  Speaking of  the floor...

Careful fitting will be required here!


Three sheets of 3/4" plywood will make up the floor which will be just enough material to make up the floor and the step-down.  I guess I need to hop-to on getting the frame and suspension so I can make some progress before mowing and watering the lawn begin to consume my time!

No comments:

Post a Comment