Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Spring has sprung....

So it's been a great couple of days weather-wise and as such, the camping bug is in the air. 

I'll campout in the driveway if necessary!


The pillow blocks cleaned up nicely after a little glass bead blasting.  It has been suggested that a split brass bushing would suitably replace the "graphite plastic thing" that originally was installed in the larger (upper) half.  I'll need to measure the axle precisely as well as the blocks to create an appropriate split bushing.

Garfield first frame:  "Welcome back to "When Wildlife Snaps!....""


In order to accurately reproduce the walls of the trailer, I will need to basically trace both aluminum skins and cut both sidewalls simultaneously.  But more than that, I want to be able to project that information onto a CAD drawing for planning purposes.  Many have suggested scaling from a grid or tracing onto paper or cardboard and measuring but I think I've come up with a better idea.  After I moved the sheet metal to my storage bay I noticed a vacant unit across the way and the idea happened.  What if I were to place each skin perfectly flat against the wall, take a photo from a distance to minimize parallax distortion then import that photo into AutoCAD to electronically trace the exterior and fenestration profiles.  I tried this out using an earlier photo of the trailer that was taken nearly square on and it tested favorably.  A call to a friend with a good camera and a tripod was next....

The tripod-mounted camera was place about 40' away.....
....and centered on the small square in the center of both sides


The high-quality photos were then imported into AutoCAD, scaled to get the tan stripe on each photo to equal one foot in length and then the tracing began!  Next, I mirrored the tracing from the curbside over to the street side and fortunately, it matched very closely.  From there I added the newly traced wall profile to the frame and cabinet view and the result was.....

Step 1
Step 2
Step 3...I think I'm getting somewhere!

Now over to the streetside....

Following the same procedure...
Followed by....
Here's the other view!

A few cabinetry design refinements and things will be pretty well defined!  Then to add large amounts of $$!
 
It's getting close to camping season, I can practically taste it.....

Last weekend of every month starting in 7 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment