Saturday, February 23, 2013

History 101

When I built my little homebrew trailer, I was hoping to make it a little more "trailer-ish" looking but instead it ended up a little more doghouse-like in appearance.  This was ok but it kind of lacked some of the classic curbside appeal I find so......well, appealing in older trailers.  So when I "discovered" the Scotty, I liked the looks and appreciated it's minimalist leanings.  The camping I enjoy does not involve satellite dishes, RV garages, pop-out bedrooms, or microwave ovens.  My homebrew trailer met those restrictions and with it's diminutive size makes it easy to fit into places where the "Titanic" cannot (and perhaps, should not) go!  

I've posted some photos taken last fall of the trailer demonstrating it's present condition and what makes this the perfect starting point for my journey....

Not too bad......not too good, either.  That's what makes it PERFECT!

We can learn a lot about water filtration in here.....

Note the city water faucet!

It might have been a bit damp back here once or twice.

...and here.

Seating for two......

...or sleeping for one.

Here is why it is "perfect" (and how I describe it to others):  After a careful inventory of what is and is not there, this trailer is, in essence, one complete set of spare parts on wheels.  The windows are all original, the screens, the cranks, the interior window trim is all there.  The torsion springs on the axle appear to be in good shape (no cracks or breaks).  The frame needs the rust removed but it looks straight and solid. The exterior skin is in fair shape - no tears or major dings, a few extra screw holes but not surprising given it's age and the level of care over the years.  In short, it is a perfect candidate for a full frame-up restoration.  The wood is the easily obtainable component to deal with in replacing.  Strip it down, patterning all the wood parts as I go.  Once I'm down to a pile of parts the fun begins:  Polish the parts skin panels and replace the wood.  Clean, refurbish, and paint the frame. Rebuild the floor, the walls and the cabinetry one stick at a time.  Re-skin the exterior.  This won't be easy or cheap but then again, nothing worthwhile is.  The challenge will be to do this as inexpensively as possible.  I'm planning on keeping my hands and feet inside the car for the duration of the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment