Saturday, February 22, 2014

One bite at a time....

I guess I'll deal with these bone spurs one way or another but let me tell you, it kind of puts a cramp in my style to have this anchor strapped my foot.  I can get around OK but simple things like kneeling or driving the car are a bit more arduous.  And that electrical thingie they use during physical therapy is something I'd rather do without so it had better be worth the discomfort.

High-fashion footwear it ain't!


My friend Lance came over last night and helped me move the floor over onto the $60,000 sawhorses.  These crates are the perfect size so I'm glad I held onto them after their intended use was finished.  One more would be nice, both as a sawhorse but also if I had the use of what was enclosed in it at work.

Imported from Hackett's Cove, Nova Scotia...

...from this building right here on the shore of St. Margaret's bay


Before I proceed any further I needed to cut a slot between the floor and the rim joist.  This will ease the installation of the wheelwells when Roger is done painting them.  I will have to drill out the lower row of rivets and replace them with 1/2" washer-head lath screws.  The mandril end of those rivets will be at an interference fit with the floor unless I drill holes and slots for clearance when the wheelwells are installed.  Since the rivets are there to hold the flanges to the wheelwells (secured with flashing adhesive) and since there are two rows of rivets, replacing the lower row with screws will help secure the wheelwell to the floor while replicating the functionality of the rivets.  Anyway I look at it, there will be extra labor involved but this option seems to be the simplest.  I wish those flanges could have been attached with the spotwelder but when all is said and done, it won't really matter. Just one of those hurdles that all good projects seem to encounter.

Widening the joint between the rim joist and the floor

Test fitting with a scrap of flange material


Moving the floor off the frame and over onto the crates prior to this morning's painting adventure. 

Made sure things were positioned just right first before eating pie!

Ready, set, paint!

3/4 of a gallon of enamel later...doesn't look half bad!

If you look closely, you'll noticed I've removed the stepdown brackets in order to more completely apply the waterproofing compound and then reinstall them when the tar is done setting up.  I will also be installing angle flashing to protect the joints of the stepdown from road spray injection.  With that in mind, I will be installing the wheelwells after waterproofing compound is applied and then the flanges will be sealed to the floor.  This way, if the flange material should warp with heat or cold, the integrity of the waterproofing will not be compromised creating the potential for a leak in the floor.


Is it a safe week to park the car in the driveway...or am I tempting fate?


No comments:

Post a Comment