Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Setbacks are a part of life

I spent some time yesterday preparing for spotwelding the new flanges onto the wheelwells.  This included glass bead blasting the metal first followed by trimming away of the old damaged edges.  That done, the necessary new metal was purchased and trimmed to rough length.  Everything was in order but....

They are looking better already!


....upon jigging the new flange material to the wheelwell, the spotwelder would not pass current.  It baffled the fabricators who were making sure things were setup properly - their only thought they could offer was the age and dissimilarities in the materials.   We welded a couple of pieces of scrap together so the unit was functioning as it should.  I guess I will begin drilling the 'wells and the flanges tomorrow prior to riveting...  Frustrating!

Recently I came into posession of an old floor register that is about the same size of the in-floor heaters installed in many small trailers like the Scotty.  I'm thinking I will install it in the floor right inside the door to minimize the amount of dirt tracked into the trailer while at the same providing an combustion air source besides opening the windows.  This register has a working mech so it can be closed off.  A baffle will go under the floor to keep road spray and dust from entering the trailer.  My goal is to keep it less than two inches deep so it will not be visible from the outside.  The wheelwells and the register will be be painted black with the last of the paint from the trailer frame.

The grill without the register mech prior to bead blasting.

On a side note:  I have been suffering from pain in my right foot for about six months.  An X-ray today revealed I have bone spurs under my heel. Two of the causes of bone spurs is being overweight, vigorous exercise and it occurs to middle-aged guys like me.  Funny, I had been losing weight in my boot camp class....

Last summer.....maybe it was the yellow shorts?


Setbacks happen; I get to deal with them.  What else would I do?  Now where's my pop-riveter?  Then again, I do know some guys out at the airport who have pneumatic rivet guns and Clecos....

No comments:

Post a Comment