Monday, February 10, 2014

Wheel well wonderings

After several days of snow and a day of rain, this morning we were back to snow.....until this afternoon!  I think I will go home a little early....

Can you blame me??



It's time to deal with the wheelwells.  In removing them from the trailer floor a year ago, I noted that the liberal use of staples was the preferred method of installation.  A lot of staples.  There was also some damage to the mounting flanges, most notably to the streetside well where the sidewall of the trailer had sagged due to the broken frame extension.  I have been trying to figure out how to either repair and utilize the wheelwells or to build new ones out of wood.  Then, at 5:35 this morning while in the shower, the solution came to me....trim off the damaged flanges and then replace them with 2" angle flashing.  I have access to a sheet metal spot welder and so it's time to get to work!

They look a little scaley....and unloved.
Typical flange damage
More of the same
Did I happen to mention the staples?
Note the rot at the radius of the flange


The next step will be to media blast the wheelwells to remove the scale and some corrosion and a little rust.  After that, I will trim off the flanges and straighten any imperfections.  I'll probably also close off the outboard side of the wheelwells after removing some of the contour outline damage and then reopen them after the sides of the trailer go up to match the profile.  Paint, install, waterproof.  It's all coming together...


Spring is in the air....somewhere...and so is the moon!

No comments:

Post a Comment