Saturday, March 9, 2013

......And the walls came a-tumblin' down!

Today's forecast had been for rain.....but when the sun came up I knew today was the day!

Some call them the Wellsvilles.....others call them the Mendons!

Then the phone rang.......Hello?......Oh, Hi Dave.....Yeah, I was about to head out.....What's that you say?.....  Well then, that'll save me a ton of work......See you in a few......(click)


"The roof collapsed two days ago....."
"......and the wind last night pushed the walls over!"



So now it's only a matter of cleaning up the flotsam and jetsam.......and lots of linoleum peeling!


Funny how all that wood fit into the back of a pickup!
Hey, the former location of a underfloor heater!
Appears some frame repairs will be in order

I count 11 carriage bolts securing the floor to the frame.....with 11 rusted nuts on the other end.  When power tools won't do the job, it's time to bring in the heavy artillery....!!


Dave is back there.....somewhere
One floor with wheelwells....
....and one frame.....but wait, there's more!
Anyone for BBQ?  This grill was wired to the frame!
Look!  The off-road frame riser kit!  Does your Scotty have this???

Personally, I like the extra ground clearance this gives my trailer especially as Korporate Kampgrounds aren't my bag.  I often stay in improved camping areas but many are a little more challenging to get to.  I'm curious why the design of this riser locates the axle 2" aft of the original position.  It is certainly robust enough raising the frame up 5-6" and when driving home two weeks ago, the trailer handled well up through 60-65 MPH.  More research will need to take place here.  I'd like to keep this feature.


Now to get a look underneath the floor and make a shopping list
Three sheets of 3/4" plywood, three 8-foot 1x2's, four 8-foot 2x2's.......
....and with a little luck.....look what I found in a seam in the flooring!
With a sky that blue, can summer be far off?

Today was an incredibly successful day.  Some may look at where I am at now and see only a pile of parts and debris.  This trailer has passed through a spring, summer, fall, and winter in it's 52 years.  It's about to enjoy a new spring, a renewal.  Like a phoenix rising from the ashes, a new life, a resurrection.

What's my next step? 

Well, let's get going on the frame and make that shopping list.....will you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment