Tuesday, March 5, 2013

"Fortitudine Vincimus" translated "By endurance we conquer"


Today dawned bright and clear....and the next few days are threatening rain and snow.  Sounded like the perfect time to do some more D and D.....documentation and demolishing!

Out with the dinnette...mind the gap
Though many nails were used, it came right out
Followed by the gaucho
Most of this wood has value as firewood....what I find later does not!
Next goes the water tank
Careful work here (the lid is put away)
I'll have to figure out what I'm doing water tank-wise


So after less than an hour, I had removed the dinette, the gaucho, the galley cupboard, a city water connection through an added backsplash made from Formica over 3/4" Novaply.  The day is still young so the marker and taillights were next.  

Then I thought.....what if I remove a window?  Do I dare?

So far, so good.....that was easy
Two more down
All four came out very easily
A good use for an Oldsmobile
OK, might as well do the door while I'm at it...and the trim
It's still a little cool for air conditioning but what the hay?!?


 It's now 1pm and I have four more hours....should I?  Peel the trailer?  Am I man enough?

You have got to be kidding.....!!!!
OK, that went sort of reasonably well
Expanding foam as a building material...nasty!
I think termites might turn up their mandibles at the sight of this!
Moving around to streetside
And now the front
Lastly curbside.  Yes, lots of foil paper insulation
Might as well do the roof....it's only 3pm!
Note to the casual viewer:  it's beginning to rack sideways!
Roof rolled and banded
All the skins stored away for safe keeping

It's now 4pm and time to take a survey of the day's efforts.  Let's see....

A little bit loose in this corner wouldn't you say?
OK, a lot loose in the front corner!
Meanwhile, over at the right rear corner...
Perhaps a little rework is in order?
It's a good thing I'm not doing this in my driveway!

You know the feeling Sir Ernest Shackleton must have had when he first realized that the Endurance was nipped by the ice and though weeks away, the end was inevitable?  There is a storm moving in tomorrow and high winds are anticipated.  Due to the excessive rot, which I knew was hiding under the siding, it won't take much of a crosswind to finish razing the walls.  I am surprised at how much the metal was keeping things together.  If some of the siding had come loose in transit, it would have been very, very bad.  Catastrophically bad.  I'm glad I felt the pallet wrap and tiedowns were not just a good idea but something that needed to be used.  It would not surprise me if I were to get a call from my friend Dave at the trailer shop before the weekend to tell me that the walls are down.  It'll save me a little muscle.....very little.  At this point, don't lean against that trailer!

Next step:  raze the walls and get a good look at the floor.  More D and D...but not much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment