Saturday, March 2, 2013

Let the games begin...!


I started off this afternoon making a few measurements and taking a few photos....and looking inside and under and behind and pretty soon one thing led to another.....

Underneath the discarded melamine paneling lies.....
....the original paint.....
...and no surprises.  Just lots of rot with some to spare!
This towel rack must be saved......
..but the carpet must go!


Let's look into that galley situation....

Rather dilapidated but not hopeless
Now about that furnace....
Obviously not a factory-installed option!
Methinks an icebox once lived here
One trailer furnace.....
...complete with service manuals!


Once the sink, stove, and furnace were out of the way the cabinet pretty much collapsed in on itself.  When the furnace was installed, the front of the cabinet appears to have been remodeled to accommodate the smaller furnace grill (compared to the relatively larger icebox).  The cabinet was in such poor shape and had been remodeled in such a way that patterning would not render me real results - I was able to make the basic height, width and depth measurements before removing the appliances but I will have to let it go at that.  I am holding onto the drawers for now but as they are so badly warped, I'll more than likely need to start over there again, too.  I then moved on and removed the woodwork over the wheelwells and noted the streetside trailer sidewall is sagging; probably due to - you guessed it - all the rotten wood! I also inspected the fresh water tank.....which in the interest of fresh-tasting water will be replaced.

The wheelwell is being pulled down at the outside edge by the trailer sidewall.
One of the tiedown straps has actually been broken by the sagging sidewall
Another view from under the gaucho


Now about the cabinet by the door.  This is not a stock wardrobe but was built and installed in the place of the half-height nightstand that stood at the right of the door.  A shelf had also added above the gaucho that went all the way around.  All this was removed.

It had a cloak rod; the shelves must have been added later
Much more roomy in here now....
Removing the gaucho will be next.....
...and the galley cupboard and that non-stock backsplash.
Yeah, that's daylight down there - the seating must go, too.

After I had removed the shelf, the tall cabinet by the door and the galley, I found the trailer has become much less stable.  I'm sure that after I remove the galley seating and cupboard as well as the gaucho, I will need to peel the sidewalls and roof fairly soon as it seems to want to rack sideways.  The front and rear walls below the windows are extremely spongy due to all the rot.  Now to figure out what to do with all the rotten wood and old carpet.....I wonder what the county's burn index is for the next week?  And which day should I take off to play at Dave's shop?

No comments:

Post a Comment